A simpler way to invest
With interest rates on cash savings accounts being so low, choosing the best place to invest your money can be daunting and confusing.
We offer a simpler way to take control of your future from just £50 per month or a £100 lump sum.
You don’t have to be an expert. We make investing easy, with simple comparison tables covering over 90 investment providers, and automatic monitoring after you invest.
We launched in 2014 and are partly owned by Unum Ltd (part of the Fortune 500 Unum Group).
"A few years ago, I set out to buy a stocks and shares ISA. As a consulting actuary, I’d spent a lot of time helping big financial companies look after their own money, so I expected buying an ISA for myself to be pretty straightforward.
I was amazed at just how difficult it was. Most of the analysis I found was really just marketing material and of no real help in choosing an investment. I wanted to use my actuarial skills to help, so decided to launch Smarterly."
How we make investing easier for everyone
We have some pretty sophisticated investment technology under the hood, but we package it up in a really simple way. You get:
- Comparison tables with projected returns and total charges covering investments from all the top providers. The projections take full account of all charges and risk and use the same techniques as the big financial services companies use to manage their own money.
- Ready-made portfolios, optimised by our sophisticated algorithms. Our comparison tables include both individual funds and fully optimised portfolios, so you can get a high quality diversified portfolio without needing to pick individual funds yourself.
SmarterCare - our free alerting service to keep an eye on your investments.
Every day, we check for you:
- Projected returns on your investment vs our comparison tables
- Recent performance vs expectations
- Likelihood of your investment hitting its target
- Level of risk/return (taking account of current market conditions)
- Competitiveness of charges
- A really easy-to-use online account to make it simple and quick to look after your investments (we hate paperwork too!). It's easy and free to switch your investment from one fund manager to another, and if you've got a few old ISAs with other providers whose websites are a pain to use, it's easy to transfer to us and get everything in one place.
- Complete openness and transparency about how we make our money. There is a simple flat platform charge for investing via us and this is our only source of income. We don't accept any commission from anyone so you can be confident our comparison tables are completely unbiased.
- High quality, powerful information to help you make better decisions. We don't offer advice, and we don't bombard you with "investment times", "research briefings", "picks of the week", or anything like that.
Who looks after your money
We provide all the facilities above for comparing, choosing and keeping track of your investments, but we do not handle your money ourselves.
We've teamed up with Cofunds, one of the biggest investment administrators in the UK, who do the work behind the scenes.
When you buy an investment through us, this is what happens:
Who Does What?
We help you to compare funds and choose the investment you want. When you buy the investment, we instruct Cofunds to setup the investment for you. We do not actually handle your money.
Cofunds take payment from your debit card or bank account and setup an ISA or investment account for you on their systems. However, they do not invest your money themselves.
Cofund send your money on to fund managers (whichever ones you selected from our comparison tables) who then invest your money in stocks and shares.
Your assets are protected by FCA Client Asset (CASS) rules and the FSCS protection scheme.
All the companies involved are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.
After you've bought your investment
Once you've bought your investment you'll get access to the account area of our website.
From your account you can do all the standard things you'd expect to be able to do like:
- View your balance and recent transactions
- Pay money in, take money out, change direct debits and switch money between funds
- Update your address, bank and other details
But, because you're with Smarterly, you'll also find thing you might not expect like:
- Up-to-date "good case" vs "bad case" projections of what your investment might be worth in future
- The latest results of our daily SmarterCare review of you investment
- All your documents in one, easy-to-find, place
- Tools to help you if you want to change the target for your investment or change its level of risk/return
Your account area (click to try a demo account, no registration required)
What do people think of Smarterly?
Here are what some people are saying:
"What a fantastic concept... it's so easy!
This site makes me think that I would use a stocks and shares ISA for the first time." Alice, London"Super impressed - this is filling a big gap in the market.
The site is very user friendly and simple to understand." Hannah, Surrey"Everything is really clear and the fact that there's no advice is a big selling point...
I much prefer to make my own decisions." Amy, London
A few top asked questions
Here are a few of the most frequent questions. If your question isn't here, try searching our full set of frequently asked questionsCan I take my money out at any time?
Yes, and there is no charge or penalty for withdrawing.Can I switch at any time?
Yes, and there is no charge for switching.Are there any hidden charges?
No, we are completely transparent. See our charges page for details.Can I transfer existing ISAs or other investments to you?
Yes, check out our transfer page to find out how easy it is.
So does Smarterly provide advice on investing?
No, we provide high quality information to help you make better decisions yourself.
Our aim is to make it quicker and easier for you to invest your money sensibly. Our tools, like comparison tables with projected returns and free investment monitoring, are all powered by our sophisticated actuarial technology.
We provide some very powerful tools, but we cannot predict the future. Investing is always risky and there is always a chance that you get back less than you put in. You have to take responsibility for your own decisions and it is important that you understand the risks of investing.
We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulates the financial services industry in the UK. Their aim is to protect consumers, ensure the industry remains stable and promote healthy competition between financial services providers.
The FCA has rule-making, investigative and enforcement powers that they use to protect and regulate the financial services industry. Here is what they say about themselves on their website:
"We want consumers to use financial services with confidence and have products that meet their needs, from firms and individuals they can trust.
To achieve this, we regulate firms and financial advisers so that markets and financial systems remain sound, stable and resilient. We also encourage transparent pricing that’s easy for everyone to understand.
Our aim is to help firms put the interests of their customers and the integrity of the market at the core of what they do."
We share many of the same values as the FCA and actually quite like being regulated. It can be hard work, but the FCA holds us to a high standard and helps our customers feel confident that their money is safe.